Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A "WOW" Moment

So far my kindergartener's first week of school is going well.  She likes the bus, likes her teacher and has already made new friends.  It brings peace to this mama knowing she is quick to make friends and will jump head first in to her school experience.  I hope other kindergarteners who are in their first week of school are having as much fun as mine is.

Have you ever been stopped dead in your tracks with an overwhelming flashback?  I had just served my kids breakfast and was gathering lunch items to put in my kinder's lunch box when I was captured and thrown back in time to my elementary school days and would wake up to my mom in the kitchen, the smell of coffee brewing along with breakfast cooking, and she would be getting lunch items together to put in my lunch box.  My first reaction was one of those, I am my mother!  But, as the moment sunk in, my heart began to smile.  I found myself whispering, "Wow, I am so thankful I have those memories.  I am so thankful for my mom." 

As a woman I had the best example of what a woman should be.  I was shown how to be a lady.  How to sit while in a dress which should be the same way you sit with pants.  That can preach to our teenagers today couldn't it?!?!  I was shown how to respect people, function socially, and to use manners.  I learned how to love my future husband, raise good kids, and serve my Lord and Savior.  All this I learned from a lady who sacrificed of herself everyday, day in and day out, to make sure my brother and I could succeed and be cared for.  I have the privilege of calling her mom and my kids get to call her Nonni.

I am honored to be the woman I am today.  I am proud to stay home with my kids and be able to be to them what this lady, who I get to call mom, was to me.  I love that my daughter will have these memories of me just like I have them of my mom.  I strive to be like my mother.  I hope to encourage, support and love my kids like she did and still does. 

Go, hug your mom, grandmother, aunt, family friend.  Whoever made you breakfast, packed your lunch and encouraged you.  Hug them.  Tell them you love them and appreciate them.  Be reminded of those times and let your heart smile.  I am honored to say I have become my mother.  Thank you Lord for giving my mother to me.  Help me keep the precedent she has set for my kids so they can copy and be that for my grand kids.  Bless my generations to come.  Amen.

Here's to more WOW moments.

Blessings.

2 comments: